. . . A distinctive feature of the New Testament characterisations of the Spirit’s action is their thoroughgoing eschatological emphasis. In Paul, the Spirit is the presence now, by anticipation, of that which belongs to the age to come: hence he is the arrabon (down-payment, 2 Cor. 1.22), aparke (first fruits, Rom. 8.23). Similarly, in Acts, the Pentecost event is portrayed as the fulfillment of Joel’s eschatological promise. Again, the Spirit performs the divine actions of the end time in the here and now: judgment (John 16:8, cf. Luke 3.16); redemption (Rom. 8); love, prophecy, truth (1 Cor. 12–14). Important here is the link Paul makes between the Spirit and freedom: liberation, as some contemporary theologies seem to forget, is an essentially eschatological concept; it is only won—or rather, given—proleptically, by the Spirit. ‘Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom’ (2 Cor. 3.17). The Spirit of God in his freedom to create in the here and now the conditions of redemption of all things promised for the end. He is the freedom of the Father to create through the Son, to incarnate the Son in the flesh, to raise the mortal body to immortality. He is the freedom of God to choose Israel and the Church, and to enable both of them to be, from time to time, particularisations of the community of the end time. – Colin E. Gunton, Theology Through The Theologians, 119-20.
- "The world was made so that Christ might be born."-David Fergusson
- "God takes the fact that He is God 'seriously'..."-Emil Brunner
WelcomeHello my name is Bobby Grow, and I author this blog, The Evangelical Calvinist. Feel free to peruse the posts, and comment at your leisure. I look forward to the exchange we might have here, and hope you are provoked to love Jesus even more as a result. Pax Christi!
My Co-Edited Books
A Little Thomas Torrance"God loves you so utterly and completely that he has given himself for you in Jesus Christ his beloved Son, and has thereby pledged his very being as God for your salvation. In Jesus Christ God has actualised his unconditional love for you in your human nature in such a once for all way, that he cannot go back upon it without undoing the Incarnation and the Cross and thereby denying himself. Jesus Christ died for you precisely because you are sinful and utterly unworthy of him, and has thereby already made you his own before and apart from your ever believing in him. He has bound you to himself by his love in a way that he will never let you go, for even if you refuse him and damn yourself in hell his love will never cease. Therefore, repent and believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour." ~T. F. Torrance, The Mediation of Christ, 94.
- Jim Cassidy’s ‘Essential Van Til’: An Alert Post
- A Roman Catholic’s (Hans Urs von Balthasar’s) Doctrine of Scripture: Christ, the Holy Ground that Makes Scripture Holy and Intelligible
- John Webster on Scripture as Witness with Reference to Barth and the Reformed
- Gannon Murphy On: To truly know God is to love him. Religion and Piety As a Frame for Knowing God
- A Nostalgic Post: Revisiting the Pyromaniacs and Some Response and Surprise in regard to Phil Johnson
Philosophy of Blogging“I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write.” - St. Augustine cited by John Calvin
Bobby Grow on Jim Cassidy’s ‘Ess… Jim Cassidy on Jim Cassidy’s ‘Ess… Bobby Grow on Jim Cassidy’s ‘Ess… Bobby Grow on Jim Cassidy’s ‘Ess… Bobby Grow on Jim Cassidy’s ‘Ess… Bobby Grow on Jim Cassidy’s ‘Ess… Jim Cassidy on Jim Cassidy’s ‘Ess…
- Jim Cassidy’s ‘Essential Van Til’: An Alert Post growrag.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/jim… https://t.co/hVxYWOxE8p 21 hours ago
- A Roman Catholic’s (Hans Urs von Balthasar’s) Doctrine of Scripture: Christ, the Holy Ground that Makes Scripture… growrag.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/a-r… 23 hours ago
- @M_Y_Emerson #Wycliffe 2 days ago
- If Jesus is the center what's the periphery; Jesus? 2 days ago
- @BrandonSmith85 You need to be more specific; Disney started in CA you know. :) That's where I'm from and was going… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- 479,774 hits