I briefly changed the name of my blog to Other Reformed Theology, but I’ve decided to go back to the original title of The Evangelical Calvinist. That’s who I am, and what I represent in the online space. I want to keep that name in the public eye if for no other reason than to promote our Evangelical Calvinism books (which are now becoming a series of volumes — we have volume two sitting at Pickwick Publications/Wipf&Stock which should be out early to mid 2017). Anyway, I’ve pondered this a bit, and decided to stick with the name that I’ve had now since 2008: The Evangelical Calvinist. Remember Evangelical Calvinism is not something like evangelical + Calvinism, instead it is Evangelical Calvinism because we believe the ground and grammar of all theological ontology, epistemology, theology, and worship is the Triune life of God which in Christ is inclusive of all humanity. We see this as the evangel that forms the very word evangelical.
A Little Thomas Torrance
“God loves you so utterly and completely that he has given himself for you in Jesus Christ his beloved Son, and has thereby pledged his very being as God for your salvation. In Jesus Christ God has actualised his unconditional love for you in your human nature in such a once for all way, that he cannot go back upon it without undoing the Incarnation and the Cross and thereby denying himself. Jesus Christ died for you precisely because you are sinful and utterly unworthy of him, and has thereby already made you his own before and apart from your ever believing in him. He has bound you to himself by his love in a way that he will never let you go, for even if you refuse him and damn yourself in hell his love will never cease. Therefore, repent and believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.” -T. F. Torrance, The Mediation of Christ, 94.
- The Patristic Calvinists versus the Medieval Calvinists: Engaging with Athanasius’s Theology of Theosis in Conversation with Barth’s and Torrance’s Themes
- Apostolic Succession, Theories of Ecclesial Authority, and Biblical Exegesis: Miscellanies
- Level I and Level II orthodoxy: Reflections on Ecumenicism and “Catholicity Building”
- ‘The Eternally Fruitful Father’: How Creation and Salvation only Make Sense if God is Father of the Son in Athanasius’s Theology by Weinandy
- Chasing the God feeling: How Correct Praise is Orthodoxy, and How Orthodoxy is right Worship
Philosophy of Blogging
- @FaithTheology @FlettJohn Deut 15&18 I love the TM. 1 day ago
- The Patristic Calvinists versus the Medieval Calvinists: Engaging with Athanasius’s… growrag.wordpress.com/2017/07/20/the… https://t.co/tSyex61kOQ 1 day ago
- @Whitefrozen Just trying to engage in a pro troll move; you've set the bar high. ;) 1 day ago
- @Whitefrozen Did you know that 2+2=4? 1 day ago
- Without fellowship there's not much of a point to a lot of this. 2 days ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- 492,302 hits