WelcomeHello my name is Bobby Grow, and I author this blog, The Evangelical Calvinist. Feel free to peruse the posts, and comment at your leisure. I look forward to the exchange we might have here, and hope you are provoked to love Jesus even more as a result. Pax Christi!
A Little Thomas Torrance
“God loves you so utterly and completely that he has given himself for you in Jesus Christ his beloved Son, and has thereby pledged his very being as God for your salvation. In Jesus Christ God has actualised his unconditional love for you in your human nature in such a once for all way, that he cannot go back upon it without undoing the Incarnation and the Cross and thereby denying himself. Jesus Christ died for you precisely because you are sinful and utterly unworthy of him, and has thereby already made you his own before and apart from your ever believing in him. He has bound you to himself by his love in a way that he will never let you go, for even if you refuse him and damn yourself in hell his love will never cease. Therefore, repent and believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.” -T. F. Torrance, The Mediation of Christ, 94.
My Co-Edited Books
- The Naked Gospel: Primitivism, Protestant Orthodox Theology, and Solo Scriptura
- Why Evangelicals, the Classically Reformed, and the Post-Reformed orthodox Are Suspicious of After Barth Thinkers
- The Uncontrollable Lion God of Dialectical Theology Rather than the Deus Ex Machina: Disdaining Natural Theology Because of Jesus
- Christology as Theology: John Webster’s Turn to the Immanent God as the Salvage of the Economic God of Modernity
- The Ghosts in the Material. A Critique of Materialism by a Materialist Placed Into a Theological Frame of Knowledge of God
Philosophy of Blogging“I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write.” - St. Augustine cited by John Calvin
“A deep brokenness requires a deeper theology.”
“We must always keep in mind that the reason the Son of God came down from the hidden throne of the eternal Father and revealed heavenly doctrine was not to furnish material for seminary debates, in which the display of ingenuity might be the game, but rather so that human beings should be instructed concerning true knowledge of God and of all those things which are necessary to the pursuit of eternal salvation.” Martin Chemnitz, Loci theol. ed., 1590, Hypomnemata 9 cited by Barth, CD I/1, 82.
- <em>The Naked Gospel</em>: Primitivism, Protestant Orthodox Theology, and <em>Solo Scriptura</em> growrag.wordpress.com/2018/07/20/the… via @BobbyGrow1 4 hours ago
- @Poor_in_Spirit I figured. And you only recently started getting into him, right? I’ve only read his book w/ the Lamb in the title. 9 hours ago
- @Poor_in_Spirit Who is your favorite Orthodox theologian? If you were forced to choose. 9 hours ago
- @Poor_in_Spirit Are those extensions? 9 hours ago
- @DZRishmawy Homoousion. But I know what you mean; ie BZ. 11 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- 623,739 hits
Category Archives: Ecumenism
*A post I originally wrote in 2008; I wasn’t an Evangelical Calvinist at this point, only seminally (and unconsciously). But I still think there are some good points here, particularly with reference to the quote I provide from my former … Continue reading
‘Vicariousness’ in TFT’s Theology illustrated by the Eucharist and Reported by Molnar: Against Dualistic Thinking in Salvation
Here’s a post that I bet none of you have seen; it is from another blog of mine, probably around nine years old. The following is going to be a long quote from Paul Molnar (the Roman Catholic😉 on Torrance’s … Continue reading
The Apocalyptic Eucharist as the Reality that Unites the Churches Under the Primacy of Jesus: T Torrance
The following (well the indented section that is following; the first three paragraphs are my introduction and thoughts on what Torrance has written to Florovsky as transcribed by Baker) comes from Matthew Baker’s transcription of a personal correspondence that took … Continue reading
This repost is inspired by Cody Lee, with whom I have been having a little discussion on this issue here. It is often thought by Protestant-Evangelical Christians that Roman Catholics are the only ones with “Tradition,” but this really couldn’t … Continue reading
What is happening to ‘Evangelical’ Christianity? Brian LePort just posted this: Is Rejection of the doctrine of the Trinity a Rejection of the Gospel? Brian is simply continuing a dialogue that Marc Cortez started on his blog, and then others … Continue reading