WelcomeHello my name is Bobby Grow, and I author this blog, The Evangelical Calvinist. Feel free to peruse the posts, and comment at your leisure. I look forward to the exchange we might have here, and hope you are provoked to love Jesus even more as a result. Pax Christi!
A Little Thomas Torrance
“God loves you so utterly and completely that he has given himself for you in Jesus Christ his beloved Son, and has thereby pledged his very being as God for your salvation. In Jesus Christ God has actualised his unconditional love for you in your human nature in such a once for all way, that he cannot go back upon it without undoing the Incarnation and the Cross and thereby denying himself. Jesus Christ died for you precisely because you are sinful and utterly unworthy of him, and has thereby already made you his own before and apart from your ever believing in him. He has bound you to himself by his love in a way that he will never let you go, for even if you refuse him and damn yourself in hell his love will never cease. Therefore, repent and believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.” -T. F. Torrance, The Mediation of Christ, 94.
My Co-Edited Books
- Reflection on the Happenings at the Southern Border
- The ‘Good’ of Tradition; The Impossibility of Reading Scripture Without Theology
- Book Review: The Epistle To The Ephesians Karl Barth
- The Confessing Church’s Word Against Jeff Sessions and the Natural Theology of the Trump Administration
- On the ‘Orthodoxy’ of Modern Theology and Its Conservative Evangelical Despisers
Philosophy of Blogging“I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write.” - St. Augustine cited by John Calvin
“A deep brokenness requires a deeper theology.”
“We must always keep in mind that the reason the Son of God came down from the hidden throne of the eternal Father and revealed heavenly doctrine was not to furnish material for seminary debates, in which the display of ingenuity might be the game, but rather so that human beings should be instructed concerning true knowledge of God and of all those things which are necessary to the pursuit of eternal salvation.” Martin Chemnitz, Loci theol. ed., 1590, Hypomnemata 9 cited by Barth, CD I/1, 82.
- @rafabelloo Yeah, some are definitely better than others. I like them because they usually get us into his historic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- @rafabelloo https://t.co/C5uECwyJWW 3 hours ago
- @rafabelloo Footnotes are really just good theological blog posts. 3 hours ago
- @rafabelloo Barth has rubbed off; good! 3 hours ago
- @ThabitiAnyabwil I agree! 3 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- 615,448 hits
Category Archives: Pneumatology
We come into the Christian life, whenever we do, and start the walk. At first, at least in evangelical circles, we identify new converts, often times with such phrases as “they are on fire,” so on and so forth. But … Continue reading
The Holy Spirit in the Theology of Thomas F. Torrance: The Holy Spirit ‘Accommodates’ the Ineffable God through the Son, Jesus Christ
The Holy Spirit is often overshadowed by discussions surrounding Jesus, and even the Father, but in a way this is by design and the “order” of God’s life internal to himself. There are many important aspects of the Holy Spirit’s … Continue reading
I have lots of people email (instead of comment) me about my various posts here at the blog. Recently I received an email from someone who wondered why I didn’t have a category (in my categories for the blog) designated … Continue reading