WelcomeHello my name is Bobby Grow, and I author this blog, The Evangelical Calvinist. Feel free to peruse the posts, and comment at your leisure. I look forward to the exchange we might have here, and hope you are provoked to love Jesus even more as a result. Pax Christi!
A Little Thomas Torrance
“God loves you so utterly and completely that he has given himself for you in Jesus Christ his beloved Son, and has thereby pledged his very being as God for your salvation. In Jesus Christ God has actualised his unconditional love for you in your human nature in such a once for all way, that he cannot go back upon it without undoing the Incarnation and the Cross and thereby denying himself. Jesus Christ died for you precisely because you are sinful and utterly unworthy of him, and has thereby already made you his own before and apart from your ever believing in him. He has bound you to himself by his love in a way that he will never let you go, for even if you refuse him and damn yourself in hell his love will never cease. Therefore, repent and believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.” -T. F. Torrance, The Mediation of Christ, 94.
My Co-Edited Books
- Retrieving the Modern Conception of God’s Being-in-Becoming For the Sake of the Church; For the Sake of Orthodoxy and Biblical Faithfulness
- Understanding How We Come to Know God: Through The Being of God in Christ For Us; Or Through Human Being Come to God By Created and Uncreated Grace?
- Thinking Divine Simplicity from a Grace-Alone-Frame
- On the Completion of Richard Muller’s Post Reformation Reformed Dogmatics (4vols)
- Thinking Salvation from the Primacy of Christ’s Humanity and TheAnthropology Rather than From Other Anthropotheological Avenues
Philosophy of Blogging“I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write.” - St. Augustine cited by John Calvin
“A deep brokenness requires a deeper theology.”
“We must always keep in mind that the reason the Son of God came down from the hidden throne of the eternal Father and revealed heavenly doctrine was not to furnish material for seminary debates, in which the display of ingenuity might be the game, but rather so that human beings should be instructed concerning true knowledge of God and of all those things which are necessary to the pursuit of eternal salvation.” Martin Chemnitz, Loci theol. ed., 1590, Hypomnemata 9 cited by Barth, CD I/1, 82.
- Studying theology can be dangerous; you never know where you'll arrive once you start. Not studying theology can be… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- @drewdyck Because they've almost arrived at the level you have. Because you've arrived and they just bumped up agai… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- growrag.wordpress.com/2018/06/27/the… 1 hour ago
- You might want to read a short post I once wrote on Peterson's theology improper as supplement to Trueman's article. 1 hour ago
- whitehorseinn.org/2018/08/the-mo… 1 hour ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- 632,079 hits
Category Archives: Pyromaniacs
Miscellanies on How the Order of a Doctrine of Election Affects the Pyromaniacs and The Gospel Coalition
The Gospel is Kingdom initiating, Kingdom grounding; indeed it could be said that the Gospel is the disruptive orientation of the original creation’s ultimate purpose as that is realized in the re-creation of God in Jesus Christ and his resurrection … Continue reading
A Nostalgic Post: Revisiting the Pyromaniacs and Some Response and Surprise in regard to Phil Johnson
If you have been following my blogging from the beginning (which my guess is at this point is that hardly anyone of you has — started in 2005) you will recognize the names that are prominent in this post. When … Continue reading
When I first started blogging in 2005 one of the first blogs I ran across was, at that point, Phil Johnson’s blog: Pyromaniac. Later, in 2006, Phil Johnson expanded his efforts and turned his blog into a team blog, renamed: … Continue reading
This post is out of the ordinary for my blog here, it’s a bit “off-topic,” ironically, in regards to the intent of this blog; but I just wanted to offer a response to Dan Phillips, of Pyromaniacs fame. He recently … Continue reading
This is in response to Phil Johnson of Pyromaniac fame. He recently posted an article, at his blog, on Robert George [Princeton Lawyer, and champion of conservative ethics, also devout Roman Catholic] (one of the signers of the “Manhattan Declaration”); … Continue reading