WelcomeHello my name is Bobby Grow, and I author this blog, The Evangelical Calvinist. Feel free to peruse the posts, and comment at your leisure. I look forward to the exchange we might have here, and hope you are provoked to love Jesus even more as a result. Pax Christi!
A Little Thomas Torrance
“God loves you so utterly and completely that he has given himself for you in Jesus Christ his beloved Son, and has thereby pledged his very being as God for your salvation. In Jesus Christ God has actualised his unconditional love for you in your human nature in such a once for all way, that he cannot go back upon it without undoing the Incarnation and the Cross and thereby denying himself. Jesus Christ died for you precisely because you are sinful and utterly unworthy of him, and has thereby already made you his own before and apart from your ever believing in him. He has bound you to himself by his love in a way that he will never let you go, for even if you refuse him and damn yourself in hell his love will never cease. Therefore, repent and believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.” -T. F. Torrance, The Mediation of Christ, 94.
My Co-Edited Books
- A Corollary Between Aryan Nazism and Planned Parenthood’s Abortionism: The Sanctity of Human Life as a Canon of Allegiances
- The Mystery of God: Knowing God, the Ineffable One, In the Dialectic of the God-man, Jesus Christ
- Can-o-Worms: Robert Jenson and the Resurrection
- Staying with Robert Jenson’s Doctrine of Resurrection for a Minute Longer
- A Quick Report on Robert Jenson’s Bultmannesque Demythologized Account of the Resurrection
- A Corollary Between Aryan Nazism and Planned Parenthood's Abortionism: The Sanctity of Human Life a… growrag.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/a-c… via @BobbyGrow1 1 hour ago
- Christian apologetics usually caused more doubt for me than confidence in God. 2 hours ago
- Just finished. https://t.co/KbpY7xkWGE 2 hours ago
- There's more to being a Christian than evangelicalism will allow for or even bear. 3 hours ago
- The way I keep my follower count down on Twitter is by blocking followers who are attempting to use my account as a… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- 545,367 hits
Category Archives: Thomas Weinandy
‘The Eternally Fruitful Father’: How Creation and Salvation only Make Sense if God is Father of the Son in Athanasius’s Theology by Weinandy
Thomas Torrance picks up on the Athanasian idea that God has always already been Father, Son, and Holy Spirit but that becoming Creator was something new for God. As we dig further into Athanasius’s theology itself, as told by Thomas … Continue reading
I am an Athanasian: How the Homoousion Saved Christianity by Inimically Implicating the Reality of Salvation
Thomas Torrance is known for his deployment of the homoousion, the grammar developed primarily at the Council of Nicaea in 325ad. It is the attempt to articulate how it is that Jesus, the eternal Logos, and Son of God is … Continue reading
I have written on this Athanasian Christological and soteriological theme previously, but I thought it would be good to reiterate it; particularly as I am continuing to read through Thomas Weinandy’s book Athanasius: A Theological Introduction. What I am referring … Continue reading
St. Athanasius and Thomas Torrance in Collusion on the Assumption of the Fallen Human Nature in Christ
As an evangelical in Bible College and Seminary (I still consider myself, broadly construed, an ‘evangelical’) I held to the impeccability view of Christ’s humanity. In other words, I believed that not only could Christ not sin*, but that the … Continue reading